Thursday, March 25, 2010

What I will do to be DONA Certified....

So as my blogging name implies, I am either a Doula or in the process of becoming a Doula. In this case I am in process of becoming a doula. In order to this I need to take a Child birth education class, a DONA, workshop, and a breastfeeding class before I can attend births. I am really anxious to starting being able to attend births.

Anyway... I recently contacted the woman who is running a workshop in May. Luckily for me the workshop contains the breastfeeding class in it. BONUS! I am going to have to read 5 books, three of which I have to read as a required reading for DONA certification. Currently I am on my The Doula Book: How a Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier, and Healthier Birth. For some reason it has been kind of tedious to finish up. I am hoping to have it don by tomorrow at the latest. Then it is onto The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers: The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solving Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America [ULTIMATE BREASTFEEDING B-R]! Thank goodness for the library because in books alone so far I have spent 30 dollars, but the isn't including books I've already bought.

The Child birth education class that I am going to take is the Bradley Method. I am lucky that I found one starting on April 2nd and decently close. My fiance was able to get every Friday off for it so he could stay with the kiddos. The woman who is hosting the class is letting me audit without a fee unless I would like a "text book". All that I need to do is help her set up and put away. As well as helping with any demonstrations. I was lucky to find the class when I did because the lady who is hosting the workshop has made it a requirement!

The workshop is going to cost a pretty penny on its own but again very much worth it. Unfortunately the class is in Elmhurst which is about an hour and fifteen minutes away. Another not so amazing point is that it starts at 9a.m., three days in a row. BLAH!!! I am really excited that the class is coming soon though. I really can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment